Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Rock Candy #1


The recipe I used could have been better since it did not provide cooking times and temperatures.  I'll look for a better one.  However, it's kind of a waste of sugar.  One jar of syrup equals one rock candy.  We did two jars with two different colors and flavors.  Neither started to crystalise within 24 hours.  I decided to put one of them back on the stove and bring it to the same candy stage as is used in syrup. (soft ball, I think). I put it all back together and it started to crystalize.  However, it went crazy and the crystals connected with the bottom of the jar.  We had to chop it out.  It was a nice piece of candy and Nolan had fun with it, but its a lot of craziness for not a lot of results.  As for the other jar, I may take that one out and put it on the stove again.  However, we're using a chop stick for that one which may not hold the sugar on it as well as the wooden stick made for rock candy.  So, if I try it again, I'll ditch the chop stick.

Notes: If we try it again, we will use a larger jar and maybe I'll research the candy stage needed for making rock candy rather than following my original recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment