Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Root Beer Extracts

I found a great homemade recipe for root beer and discovered that it was a common practice in my grandmother's day to make gallons and gallons of homemade root beer.  After using the recipe to make a bottle of cream soda, I decided to look for root beer extract recipes so I could make it free of artificial colors and additives.

However, what I discovered was a bit of an upset.  I found the traditional recipe for root beer but it was somewhat complicated due to having many different types of roots and spices that I've never seen or heard of.  To complicate the issue, one of the original ingredients in root beer was a root called sassafras.  Since sassafras has a dangerous oil in it called safrole, which is a carcinogen, it has been removed from most brands of root beer.  Root beer listing sassafras as an ingredient should have a "no safrole-oil" disclaimer.

So if you are motivated enough to find all the ingredients to make your own extract, here is a good link to a traditional root beer extract recipe.  As for me, I have given up on making my own extract for the present time and have started looking into commercially available root beer extracts. 
Unfortunately, after searching extensively, I found many different brands that did not list ingredients and gave no indication of whether their products were natural or filled with chemicals.  Finally, I discovered a company which appears to use 100% natural flavors. 

Homemad Soda Company: http://homemadesodacompany.com/http/homemadesodacompany.com/rootbeerandsodainstructions.aspx

This company provides three different root beer flavor extracts as well as root beer making kits and several other soda extracts.

No comments:

Post a Comment