Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Favor Extracts #1


Just hit the 3 week mark on raspberry and strawberry extracts.  Strained extract and replaced old berries with fresh ones.  At this point, the strawberry extract smells very strong but does not taste as strong as most finished extracts.  The raspberry extract does not have as strong of a raspberry fragrance compared to the strawberry.  This may be due to the berry type and is sure to improve in the next 6 weeks.  Unfortunately, I was not able to get fresh organic raspberries for this change over so I used frozen berries.  So far, the berries have not broken apart in the alcohol which is a good sign since my fear was freezing would make the berries into mush.

Results:
These extracts had a very nice smell.  However, the strength of the extract was not enough to use in hard candy.  I used it in gummy bears and still the flavor did not come out very strong.  So, this was a fun experiment, but I was really looking for something for hard candy.  Since extracts last forever, I'm sure I'll find something interesting to use them in.

No comments:

Post a Comment