Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Hard Candy #4

Made fourth batch of hard candy last night.  Candy turned out fine without caramelization but it was the first time I used molds.  I'll need to remember to oil molds better next time and crack only after completely cooled.
Note made on 9/11/2011: I recently noticed that this batch of candies has caramelized and the candy is now crumbly.  The only two differences in this batch are that I used lolly pop molds and I used a different brand of food coloring.  I guess another difference is that I used a different brand of flavoring as well.  I will have to test the cookie molds in the next batch using the Indian tree coloring as in the first batches and the store bought flavorings.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that the flavoring is not the culprit. Another thing that may have caused this problem is that I melted crystallized cane syrup for the recipe.  I don't remember if I did this in this recipe or another one. oops.
*Another thing I thought of was that I used a type of shortening to oil the molds whereas I used a vegetable oil to grease the sheet when I made broken glass candy.  I'll have to change that factor back to the vegetable type oil instead of the shortening.



Previous Trials:
  1. Used corn syrup as called for in recipe.  Nothing went wrong.
  2. Substituted with sugar cane syrup - no crystallization.  Sugar cooked to quickly and caramelized.  
  3. Made and used sugar can syrup - melted from crystallized state.  Used too small  of a pot so sugar cooked too quickly and reached caramelization stage.  Thermometer did not register correct temperature.
Return to Hard Candy Making Page

Hard Candy Making Recipe and Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment