Sunday, October 16, 2011

Mint Flavoring Oil #1


So today I washed and dried a bag full of fresh mint.   I threw most of it in the food processor, then spread it out on a cookie sheet to dry, and I reserved a handful of leaves for making mint oil. Through all of the methods and recipes that I read for making infused oils, I decided that the best method for making oil for flavoring chocolate would be a cold infusion method.  Though this method does not advise bruising of the leaves, many recipes say to do so.  I chose this method over others since it is supposed to result in a clear (non-murky) oil and since there are some concerns noted in various on-line recipes with respect to bacteria when leaving the jar outside in sunlight.  By using a cold infusion method I am hoping to have a longer period of use (3-6 months) before having to use it up or throw it out.  I will be sure to post the results of this experiment but in the meantime, here is the exact recipe I used.

Mint Flavoring Oil Recipe

Return to Infused Oil Page

No comments:

Post a Comment