Saturday, October 29, 2011

Hard Candy - Fifth Batch

I used the sucker molds for the second time but this time I used walnut oil instead of shortening for oiling the molds.  I am hoping that the type of oil I use is the deciding factor for making the candy turn out right.  My broken glass candy turned out great when I used vegetable oil to grease the pan. As for the other ingredients, I used sugar cane syrup, store bought natural orange flavoring, and Select brand Orange food coloring which was made from annatto seed.  Hopefully this time the suckers will pop out without breaking and will not crystallize.  If they end up becoming brittle, I will have to blame it on the food coloring.  However I'll use vegetable oil next time to be safe if it does go brittle.




So far everything looks fine though.  The candy is clear (not caramelized) and the color is bright.  The taste is good as well.

This time I used a small ladle and this made it much easier to pour into the small molds without making a mess.  I also had enough time to pour the candy in all the molds and then do some touch-up before the candy started to harden.

I will post the results once I remove the suckers from the molds, and of course, in a couple of weeks I'll look to see if the candy is still in good shape or if it becomes crumbly.

Return to Hard Candy Making Page

No comments:

Post a Comment